Sunday, August 28, 2011

Me, myself and no Irene

The wait began on Friday. And it began after a flurry of emails and messages from the school and friends bombarded my inbox warning me against one of the possibly most destructive hurricanes the East Coast would have ever seen.

I was delighted. After all, it would be my first ever meet with Irene. I had to be prepared. It had to be an experience to cherish as I would watch her strut down towards me with unmatched grace. As everything in her way would fall apart or get out of the way to let her through. And so I prepared. They told us to stay indoors. I did with all the patience I could muster. They advised us to stock our refrigerators with supplies that could last an eternity. I emptied all the CVS shelves. And then I waited.

The news channel was sure it would blast through the skies on Saturday. I watched the skies all day but nothing happened. A few drops tickled my senses in anticipation of bigger things to come. But that never materialized. The news then warned us about the Super Sunday- when we could be blown away. And so I waited again for her. Maybe she wasn't ready enough to meet me, I thought, as I lay awake all night. Sunday arrived. And Sunday went by. With a lull, but a lull without the storm. And so the wait continues to meet my Irene some other day.





No comments: